Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Effusions of Fancy

THE BRITISH LIBRARY


On my solo journey through London for a day, I happened across the British Library. Okay, no. Actually I got a hotel that was about 5 minutes walking distance from the British Library. It was completely intentional. 

It was a wonderful first stop on my library journey. The British Library is the largest library in all of England. I feel like I barely even scratched the surface of it! But I did manage to spend several hours there in bliss and awe. 

My favorite section, by far, was the Sir John Ritblat Gallery, where they keep the “Treasures of the British Library.” There were amazing ancient manuscripts, original copies of the Gutenberg bible, pieces of the Magna Carta, even scraps of paper and envelopes where the illustrious words of “Yellow Submarine” and “Yesterday” were first penned. 

King's Library
But most importantly, here I found Jane Austen’s writing desk and one of her original notebooks. I thought to myself: this is where the magic happened. I wish I could share pictures with you, but alas, there was a strict no-camera rule in that section of the library. And when I say strict, I mean strict. There was a man watching the whole time! No getting past those crazy librarians! ;) But there I “paid homage to Jane Austen” as one of the nice British ladies who worked at the front desk told me to do. 


I found the journal to be rather remarkable. It was Jane’s hands that touched it, her very fingers that created the genius held within it. I think my mouth was agape in a rather stupid way the entire time I gazed at it. The other visitors probably thought I was daft while they were all passing by here and there, hurrying on to the next thing; meanwhile I just stood there, staring for ages, “paying homage” to my favorite author.
It is supposed that Jane Austen’s father gave this particular journal to her when she was quite young. In the front there is an inscription:

“Effusions of Fancy by a very Young Lady consisting of Tales in a Style entirely new.”
What a remarkable description. A bold commission. And a beautiful inspiration.

To all those very young ladies out there…write on.

No comments:

Post a Comment