Thursday, September 13, 2012

If I Could Bottle a Scent...


The Old Bodleian

The Bodleian Library


So, I am officially living in Oxford! And it is a bit like living in a dream. In fact, I feel like there is so much beauty to behold, that I am currently in a state of sensory overload. I cannot even really take it all in yet! Everything is so old and beautiful and quaint. And almost every single building is that way! It’s incredible…almost too much! 

One such building is the Bodleian Library…

Saying that I have seen the Bodleian is a bit like saying that I have seen America. The Bodleian is actually a network of 50 different libraries all throughout Oxford. I certainly have not seen them all. But the Old Bodleian (the original building) is right in the center of town…and I have seen it in all its splendor. 

The Bodleian is the second largest library in England (next to the British Library). But is it second best? No sir. I would say that its 11 million volumes is large enough for me. 11 million! Sheesh! Anyway, although the Bodleian does not have the original manuscripts of Jane Austen (etc.), its charms are still irresistible. 

The Old Bodleian building contains many amazing resources. The three main sections are the Lower Reading Room, which contains books about Theology, Philosophy, Classics, etc. And the Upper Reading Room which has History and Literature (love this room!) These reading rooms embody the type of thing that you would imagine when you think of a dusty, old library. Tall wooden shelves (you need a ladder to get to the top ones), rows of long desks, charming card catalogues (not necessarily used anymore).  Plus, the truly ancient art and architecture all around makes everything…special. I sat there, reading these special books, in this special room, that I have special access to as an Oxford student…thinking to myself: Lord, you are so good to me.


There was a strict "no photography" policy. oops.
But today I ventured into the third main part of this building… Duke Humfrey’s Library. This is the place where they keep the special collections and the truly, truly ancient volumes. I thought that it would be similar to the Sir John Ritblat Gallery in the British Library (which I told you about in my last post), where they keep all of their ancient, famous volumes…all on display under boxes of glass in a dark, modern room with people passing to and fro as if they were in a museum. The thing that I love about the Bodleian is that this is not a museum (despite all of the jokes about libraries heading that way). The Bodleian is used, the special collections and the ancient volumes are used.  

Duke Humfrey’s Library is not at all like a museum…but more like…a fairytale.

I'm only slightly happy to be here!
When I walked into Duke Humfrey’s Library, my jaw actually dropped. And for a while I just stood there, mouth agape but with a little hint of a smile, taking in the sight before me. Do you remember the library from Beauty and the Beast? Well, I felt like Beauty in that moment. Two stories of old, dusty books lining all of the walls...stairs and ladders climbing, ornate paintings hanging everywhere, and dazzling ceilings arching above it all. There is really nothing like it (not even the Beast’s library). As soon as I was able to close the gaping hole in my face, I eventually remembered to breath. And as I did, I took in the overwhelming scent of old books. You know what I’m talking about? That lovely old book smell that you get when you open the binding of a book that hasn’t been used in 50 years. Well the entire room was exuding this fantastic aroma. If I could bottle a scent, it would be this one. 

I have decided that I shall do all of my homework in this room. That way every time I breathe, I am happy. 
The ceilings!!


1 comment: