Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The British Landscape


Great Britain has some wonderful things to offer: its quaint towns and rolling hills, its overabundance of tea-drinking, its delectable chocolates, jams, and clotted creams… but most importantly, its authors. Ah, British authors! How I love them.

The British landscape is chalk-full of these wonders. 

photo credit: La Bibliotheque- bibliotheque.tumblr.com

As part of my time here in England, I have to actually do school (sometimes I forget).  Between exploring libraries, making friends, and drinking lots and lots of tea, I must somehow also find time to read. And when I say read, I mean reeead. Fortunately, I will be reading some truly amazing things.  Often I think about my reading list with much excitement and a moderate amount of fear. If you are interested to see what I’m talking about, check out the list below:


Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners – John Bunyan
Surprised by Joy – C.S. Lewis
The Book of Margery Kempe – Margery Kempe
The Journal of George Fox – George Fox
The Witch of Edmonton – Thomas Dekker, John Ford, and William Rowley
Macbeth – William Shakespeare
The Witch – Thomas Middleton
Phantastes George MacDonald
Lilith – George MacDonald
“On Faerie Stories” – essay by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Chronicles of Narnia (all seven) – C.S. Lewis
“On Three Ways of Writing for Children” – an essay by C.S. Lewis
“Sometimes Fairy Stories May Say Best What’s To Be Said” – an essay by C.S. Lewis
Out of the Silent Planet – C.S. Lewis
Perelandra – C.S. Lewis
That Hideous Strength – C.S. Lewis
A Wrinkle in Time – Madeleine L’Engle
Till We Have Faces – C.S. Lewis
The Four Loves – C.S. Lewis
“Cupid and Psyche” – Apuleius
Ode to Psyche – John Keats
Evelina – Frances Burney
Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen
Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
Emma – Jane Austen
The Mysteries of Udolpho – Ann Radcliffe
Northanger Abbey – Jane Austen
Mansfield Park – Jane Austen
Persuasion – Jane Austen



So far, I have finished 3. 

So you may be extremely jealous or simply relieved that you are NOT me. Even I have mixed feelings about it, so don’t worry, it’s normal. 

But I am excited for what’s ahead…and also not just a little bit nervous. 

In fact, I just submitted my very first Oxford essay to be graded. Oh dear, it is so nerve-wracking! Prayers are appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. Your list intimidates me, Felicia! :) Some of these I recognize from a British Lit class I took, and I do not envy you! Others I think, yay, how fun! But I am curious if all of these are for school and some your personal choice!? Blessings and love for your time in England. I love seeing all your pics and posts! I feel like I'm experience a little piece of your journey! Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all for my classes here! So I actually have to read them...well, hopefully :P But, some of them are exciting because I wanted to read them anyway! I love you too, Jacqui! Hope you're doing well!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I wish somebody would make me a reading list. I always just read the next book that comes to my hand, (currently The Years of Rice and Salt). But I see a few of my favorites in your list there, and a few that I despised. Let me know what you think of Keats, and MacDonald.

    ReplyDelete